Sunday, June 22, 2008

Designer Spotlight: William Travilla

Photobucket
Designer: William Travilla

Movies: How to Marry a Millionaire, Bus Stop, Adventures of Don Juan

Trivia: Dressed Marilyn Monroe in 8 films and is known for the white Grecian dress she wears in the infamous scene in The Seven Year Itch

Photobucket
There are a lot of Costume Designers that I admire and consider iconic; Edith Head, Orry-Kelly, John Mollo, Trisha Biggar, and more. William Travilla (known professionally as Travilla) is one of those Designers who fits that list. Though most people will instantly recognize his most famous designs (the white Grecian dress Marilyn Monroe wears in The Seven Year Itch and the strapless pink one she wears in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes) ,

Photobucket

I actually saw his work in How to Marry a Millionaire. When Marilyn Monroe (an actress he would dress in 8 films) is wearing that stunning strapless mermaid dress that is draped with a single asymmetrical jeweled strap running across her dress in that incredible color I thought "how original!". It was so beautifully done and so simple yet sleek I was an instant fan; his other work only cemented my appreciation.

Photobucket


Photobucket

The Glamour Years of Hollywood have been my favorite period of filmmaking out of all the decades since. There is just a true sense of originality, creativity, class and sex-appeal. It is filled with sheer sophistication.

Photobucket
Photobucket


Photobucket


From what I've seen of his work with Marilyn Monroe I truly believe she was his muse.

Photobucket


I highly recommend you watch all of his work; but my favorite of his would be Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Costume Design-wise)

Photobucket


Photobucket



and Bus Stop (because I feel Marilyn Monroe gave the performance of her life.)

Photobucket

1 comment:

Ricardo Pereira said...

I couldn't agree more with you. First of all I am a big Marilyn Monroe fan... and second of all, I’m all for this glamour period you've talked about on your post and truly believe that we will never be able to see anything like it ever again.
The movies were so simple and yet so complex in terms of scenes, dancing, music and they had some moments that completely dazzle me. Nowadays we do not see nothing like it, the overture of “How to marry a millionaire” is just stunning with that orchestra playing on that beautiful set. A preoccupation so characteristic from that period
If we make a comparison to what the film directors are making these days, with so much more budget and much more techniques, we can see that those are the updated films... the vintage one's, like this with Marilyn, are the real deal and the best ones ever made.
I discovered your blog searching for this particular film and for this particular scene; I’ve recently bought the Marilyn Monroe Barbie doll featuring Marilyn in this stunning dress and was searching for images so I can embellish my post.
I salute you for your impeccable taste with this designer, also one of my favourites and one not so known about the general people, and will be stopping by more often. Kisses from Portugal